Browser - Song Library & Playlist Manager
The fastest method to add files to the Playlist is to use the Add Dir function or drag songs from the Browser. Playlist can be saved and loaded for later use.
The Playlist when in Automix (non-shuffle) mode will play back from top to bottom.
Controls & Options
Many of the options associated with this panel are accessed from the Preferences > Global Settings tab.
- Preview track - Drag and drop tracks here to preview. Click along the song name to change playback location.
- Automix - Decks A and B will be used to automix songs in the Automix Playlist.
- Add files to Playlist - Drag files from the Library, iTunes or other external browsers and drop them on the Playlist.
- Edit data fields - Double-click Playlist fields to edit the information/tags shown.
- Sort by Index, Artist, Title, Album, Comments - Click on the headings to sort by that field.
- Right-click file menu - Select from:
- Load to Deck 1 to 4 - Sends the file to play on deck 1 or 2 as selected.
- Append to Automix list - Adds the file to the end of the Automix list. It's OK to do this while Deckadance is playing the list.
- Preview - Plays the track on the Headphone mix as set on the Audio Settings.
- Reset Played Status - Sets the track to unplayed.
- Reset Played Statistics - Play statistics are kept for all files.
- Reload tags - Reloads song information associated with files.
- Show in explorer - Shows the file location in the OS file browser.
- Analyze - Force beat-analysis on the files selected in the playlist. Pre-analyzing files is useful as it lowers the CPU overhead and load times during a live set. To select multiple files -
select the first file of a group (click on it) then Shift+click on the last OR Ctrl+Click on individual files. The beat-analysis files are stored in the installation folder.
PC: ..\Stanton\Deckadance\beatmarks\*.mrk, MAC: ../Library/Application Support/Stanton/Deckadance/beatmarks/*.mrk and will be remembered permanently (it is important that the
name of the source audio file remains unaltered, the file name and size are used to match beatmark and audio files). Note: Beatmark files also store cue points, detected BPM etc.
- Remove - Remove the file. A warning is given.
- Right-click Library - Gives the following options:
- Import Music Folders - Adds folders to the file browser.
- Create Backup - Creates a backup of your library (meta data not the original files).
- Clear Collection - Removes the collection from the Library.
- Right-click Automix - Gives the following options:
- Clear List - Clear the Automix Playlist.
- Export - To M3U or HTML format.
- Copy to Play Order - Copies the play order to your iTunes playlist.
- Right-click Playlists - Gives the following options:
- Create Playlist - Create as many Playlists as you need.
- Import Playlist - Open a pre-made Playlist.
- Change font size - Use Preferences > Layout > Browser Layout.
Working with the Browser
There are a number of useful features integrated into the Browser and associated Playlists as follows:
Columns - The column headers provide the following functions:
- Library folder - Shows the files and folders set on the Preferences > File Management > Audio files folder section. NOTE: Right-click the Library folder to import all of your files the first time that you open Deckadance. There are also Right-click options Create Backup and Clear collection to manage and backup your library data. In this case it is not the original song data, but the meta-data associated with beatmarks, track ratings, Playlists etc.
- Playlists - There are three categories of Playlists. The Automix Playlist, options are on the Preferences > Global Settings > Automix Settings section. The Playlists folder where you can create and manage your own Playlists and the Smart Playlists folder, that holds a number of
automatically compiled Playlists, based on user settings (see below).
- Add songs to the Deckadance playlist - Browse your Library folders or Audio files. Click and drag songs and drop them onto the Drop to playlist box (top left) to
add them to the Deckadance Playlist.
- Browse library - Click on the categories down the left-side panel to see files saved in each.
- Smart Playlists - Smart Playlists can log your sets and can be used to compile your best tracks. For example, you can ask Deckadance to show the top 10 songs that you played over the last year, for dance genre. Useful stuff!
Create - Click on the 'Create smart playlist' option at the top of the list and name it. You can then use the Editing & Filtering options described below to populate.
Editing & Filtering - Right-click the Playlist to show the filter options.
NOTE: Click the + button to add filter categories or the - button to remove them.
- iTunes Library - Shows your iTunes library if you are using iTunes. NOTE: If you have iTunes installed and your library does not show here, manually set the path to the iTunes library file (iTunes Music Library.xml) from the Preferences > File Management > iTunes Library file path.
- Add/Remove - Right-click column title/names and select from the list.
- Order Content - Click the column title/name for the column you want to order against. You can also click and drag vertically to change their position of individual items in the
NOTE: When you click a Playlist column header the display-order of your Playlist is
changed but the play order is preserved as shown with a lock icon in the "#" (number/position) column, see below. In this state you can't change the position of the songs (via drag & drop) and if
you click the "#" column then the actual play-order is shown. To adopt the automatic sorting after a column sort function, right-click the Playlist item in the
Browser and select Copy to play order function.
- Order Columns - Click and drag column title/name horizontally to the new location.
- Resize - Click and drag the | divider between titles.
- Find - Type keywords in the search bar.
- Filter - Click on the magnifying glass icon to the left of the search bar to select which fields to include in the
My Precious Data!
The song data is stored in several locations:
- Rating and Play count - Among others, are stored in the Deckadance library (right click over the library item in the left tree to create backups). This library is not deleted when you
update Deckadance on the same computer.
- BPM data, cue points - Plus a few other things are stored in the beatmark files, they are placed in the installation location inside the 'Beatmarks' folder. These files are created
when a song is analyzed.